The ideal standard casing for all your sausages. Suitable for all fresh sausages, but also for small diameter sausages and liver sausages, for blood sausages such as boudin noir and of course ideal for dry sausages of the North American or Northern European type.
Natural hog casings – 32-34 mm | for sausages
What are natural hog casings for sausages?
Natural casings are the carefully cleaned and prepared intestines of pigs. The most important properties of natural casings are: a natural product, an authentic and traditional look, porous and therefore absorb smoke very well and are elastic, so can be overfilled. These casings are made from the small intestine.
About our natural hog casings
These hog casings are the ideal go-to casing for all your sausages. They are suitable for all fresh sausages, but also for small diameter sausages and liver sausages, for blood sausages such as boudin noir, and of course ideal for dry sausages of the North American and Northern European type.
- Diameter: 32-34 mm
- Sold per tube (15+ meters) in a small, brine filled bucket
- Stuffing capacity around 750-1000 grams per meter
- Salted in a brine
- store them in the refrigerator
- de-salt them in freshwater for several hours before use
- shelf life about 8-12 months
Recommended reading on making your own (dry cured) sausages and charcuterie
- 👉Free pointer on converting American cure #1 and #2 recipes to European ingredients
- Home Production of Quality Meats and Sausages
- The art of making fermented sausages
- Spanish Sausages Authentic Recipes And Instructions
- Polish Sausages, Authentic Recipes And Instructions
- Worstbijbel (Dutch only; by the author of startercultures.eu)
- Over Charcuterie (Dutch) – handbook for home charcuterie making by the founder of startercultures.eu
Online English spoken sausage making workshop
In this English spoken online workshop you will learn the theory and practice of making fresh sausages. What types of meat work best, where can you find your ingredients, what are the main pitfalls and what funny things can you do with casings. Foodwriter ‘Meneer Wateetons’, author of several books on fermentation and alternative food preparation techniques, will teach you all about fermentation, curing salts, food safety, pH, starter cultures, molds and drying conditions. Click here for more info.