Medium fast starter culture Primal SK natur is a good allround starter culture. Most suitable for medium-fast and fast fermentation, but with a mild acidification and aroma. Can be used as a substitute of Bactoferm F-RM-52.
What are starter cultures for sausages?
Starter cultures are freeze-dried bacteria that you use in making your own dry sausages such as chorizo, fuet, salami and countless other dry sausages. They provide safety by acidifying your meat (i.e. lowering the pH) and they give your sausages their distinctive cured and ripened flavor. You always use them together with nitrite salt (curing salt), dextrose and sometimes nitrates. They roughly come in 3 variants: fast, medium fast and slow. Primal SK natur is a medium fast type of starter culture.
About medium fast starter culture Primal SK natur
This is a good allround starter culture. Most suitable for medium-fast and fast fermentation, but with a mild acidification and aroma. The presence of L. sakei provides a good protection against pathogens.
Looking for Bactoferm F-RM-52?
Looking to buy Bactoferm F-RM-52? This is a sausage starter culture only availabe in North America, and not for sale in Europe. Please order this Primal SK natur as a substitute. It has the same microbes.
- Bacteria: L. sakei, S. carnosus
- Can be used as a substitute of Bactoferm F-RM-52
- 25 grams suitable for 50 kg of meat
- Store in the freezer, however, short disruptions of freezing will not influence the quality
- Always combine with curing salt and dextrose
- Fermentation: approximately 48 hours @ 24 °C
Recommended reading on making your own dry cured sausages
- Home Production of Quality Meats and Sausages
- The art of making fermented sausages
- Spanish Sausages Authentic Recipes And Instructions
- German Sausages Authentic Recipes And Instructions
- Polish Sausages, Authentic Recipes And Instructions
- Free pointer on converting American cure #1 and #2 recipes to European ingredients
- Worstbijbel (Dutch only; by the author of startercultures.eu)