Bactoferm SafePro® F-LC is a meat starter culture that provides a well rounded mediterranean flavor in addition to giving optimal Listeria prevention in fermented sausages.
What are starter cultures for sausages?
Starter cultures are freeze-dried bacteria that you use in making your own dry sausages such as chorizo, fuet, salami and countless other dry sausages. They provide safety by acidifying your meat (i.e. lowering the pH) and they give your sausages their distinctive cured and ripened flavor. You always use them together with nitrite salt (curing salt), dextrose and sometimes nitrates. They roughly come in 3 variants: fast, medium fast and slow. F-LC is recommended for the production of all types of fermented sausages. Depending on fermentation temperature, acidification is either traditional, fast or extra fast.
What are bioprotective cultures
Bioprotective cultures provide extra safety because they contain micro-organisms that, in addition to fermenting your sausages, work forcefully against pathogens. These cultures are of particular interest to the home producer who lacks access to tools to measure pH or other labequipement. The Bactoferm SafePro ® range covers startercultures that help develop a positive eco-system t hat will improve food safety and/ or potentially extend shelf life.
About Bactoferm Safepro F-LC
SafePro® F-LC is a starter culture that provides a well rounded mediterranean flavor combined with optimal Listeria prevention in fermented meat products. The culture provides a reliable acidification and a good flavor and color development. Applicable at a wide temperature range. Pediococcus acidilactici and Lactobacillus curvatus give a controlled, moderate pH-drop with a mild acidification flavor. The used Staphylococcus xylosus gives good color formation and stability and a very round and mild flavor. Low fermentation temperature (<25º C) results in traditional acidification profiles whereas high fermentation temperature (35-45º C) gives a US style product.
The bacteria in this starter produce ‘bacteriocins’, which can be seen as ‘antibiotics’ attacking dangerous competitors like Listeria monocytogenes. This starter culture is used frequently in Marianski & Marianski’s The Art of Making Fermented Sausages.
Microbes in Bactoferm Safepro F-LC
Pediococcus acidilactici, Lactobacillus curvatus, Staphylococcus xylosus
- 25 grams
- suitable for 100 kg of meat
How to use bactoferm Safepro F-LC
- dosage: approx. 0,25-0.5 grams per kilo (please overdose a little, to ensure you have a enough bacteria)
- Fermentation instructions, choose any of these profiles:
- approx. 12 hours at 35-45
- approx. 24 hours at 28 ° C
- appr 48 hours at 24 ° C
- approx. 72 hours at 20 ° C, or descending from 22 ° C to 18 ° C over 5 days.
- Note: store in the freezer, but short interruptions of the cooling cycle will not affect quality. Shelf life up to 18 months in the freezer and 6 weeks at refrigerator temperature.
- Contents: sucrose, starter culture, Manganese sulfate
- Allergens: none
Recommended reading on making your own dry cured sausages
- Home Production of Quality Meats and Sausages
- The art of making fermented sausages
- Spanish Sausages Authentic Recipes And Instructions
- German Sausages Authentic Recipes And Instructions
- Polish Sausages, Authentic Recipes And Instructions
- Free pointer on converting American cure #1 and #2 recipes to European ingredients
- Worstbijbel (Dutch only; by the author of startercultures.eu)
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.