Medium fast starter culture Hela Germet is a medium-fast to slow starter culture, intended for Northern European and Southern European sausages. For dried sausages that achieve character and flavor due to a slow pH drop.
Medium fast starter culture Hela Germet | for dried sausages
Out of stock
Out of stock
Only 2 left in stock
What are starter cultures for sausages?
Starter cultures are freeze-dried bacteria that you use in making your own dry sausages such as chorizo, fuet, salami and countless other dry sausages. They provide safety by acidifying your meat (i.e. lowering the pH) and they give your sausages their distinctive cured and ripened flavor. You always use them together with nitrite salt (curing salt), dextrose and sometimes nitrates. They roughly come in 3 variants: fast, medium fast and slow. Hela Germet is a medium-fast to slow starter culture.
About medium fast starter culture Hela Germet for sausages
Hela Germet is a medium-fast to slow starter culture, intended for Northern European and Southern European sausages. For dried sausages that achieve character and flavor due to a slow pH drop.
- Content: dextrose, Staphylococcus xylosus, Pediococcus acidilactici
- 20 grams suitable for 50 kg of meat
- Keep in the freezer, however, short disruptions of freezing will not influence the quality.
- Always combine with curing salt and dextrose
- Fermentation: approximately 48 hours @ 24 °C
Recommended reading on making your own (dry cured) sausages and charcuterie
- 👉Free pointer on converting American cure #1 and #2 recipes to European ingredients
- Home Production of Quality Meats and Sausages
- The art of making fermented sausages
- Spanish Sausages Authentic Recipes And Instructions
- Polish Sausages, Authentic Recipes And Instructions
- Worstbijbel (Dutch only; by the author of startercultures.eu)
- Over Charcuterie (Dutch) – handbook for home charcuterie making by the founder of startercultures.eu
Online English spoken dry cured sausage making workshop
During this English spoken masterclass you will learn the theory and practice of making cured dry sausages such as salami’s, fuet, chorizo, pepperoni and summers sausages at home. Foodwriter ‘Meneer Wateetons’, author of several books on fermentation and sausagemaking, will teach you all about fermentation, curing salts, food safety, pH, starter cultures, molds and drying conditions.Click here for more info.