The original! Penicillium nalgiovense for an authentic white mold layer on your sausage or other charcuterie.
For an authentic white mold layer on your sausage or other charcuterie. Bactoferm Mold 600 – Penicillium nalgiovense is the mold most commonly used for sausages.
Why use mold for your sausages and charcuterie?
A mold is a great addition for an authentic look, aroma and taste. But, a mold also helps with the ripening process of sausages. First, it prevents rancidity (i.e. oxidation) of fat and increases the pH by producing ammonia. You want a sausage to be acidic in the beginning to prevent spoilage, but when the sausage is well-dried, that acidic environment is no longer that necessary. A well-ripened and moldy salami therefore tastes remarkably mild. Furthermore, molds ensure a slower and more uniform drying, which means that you run much less risk of case hardening. Finally, unwanted molds do not stand a chance due to the force majeure of P. nalgiovense.
- 1 bag is enough for 2000 kg of sausages! In most cases as a home sausage maker you do not need more than the smallest pinch
- Store in freezer
- Shelf life: at -18 at least 18 months. At +5 ° C at least 6 weeks.
- Close the bag airtight, or vacuum seal after use.
- 1 bag of 25 grams is enough for about 2000 kg (!) of sausages.
- Dilute the desired amount of mold starter 50-fold (for example 0.5 grams mold in 25 ml tap water; about 20 ° C). If your scale is not precise enough : a little too much mold is no problem at all.
- Dissolve and allow to rest for about 2 hours at room temperature.
- Then dilute again 10-fold. So the 25 ml becomes 250 ml.
- Spray or dip after stuffing the sausage or after the fermentation step.
- Only use natural casings.
- Once diluted it has a limited shelf life, use preferably on the day itself
Recommended reading on making your own dry cured sausages and charcuterie
- 👉Free pointer on converting American cure #1 and #2 recipes to European ingredients
- Home Production of Quality Meats and Sausages
- The art of making fermented sausages
- Spanish Sausages Authentic Recipes And Instructions
- German Sausages Authentic Recipes And Instructions
- Polish Sausages, Authentic Recipes And Instructions
- Worstbijbel (Dutch only; by the author of startercultures.eu)
- Over Charcuterie (Dutch) – handbook for home charcuterie making by the founder of startercultures.eu