This pocket sized wireless meat and cheese pH Tester is build to last. Comes with everything you need to get started measuring right away. Can also be used for all other types of fermentation. Open-source Bluetooth allows easy integration into current data logging systems. Also comes with an app.
Wireless pH tester with Lab App | for meat, sausages and cheese
The pH is a measure of the acidity of an aqueous solution. The pH of water is around 7 at room temperature. At room temperature, acidic solutions have a pH lower than 7, and thus a high acidity. So water has a pH of 7, beer between 4.5 and 5, vinegar around 3, and battery acid around 0.5. The pH is a logarithmic scale, meaning that a drop of 1 pH point is 10x more acidic. You can use this pH tester to measure the acidity of your fermenting sausages or cheese. The pH must drop sufficiently through fermentation to ensure that unwanted microorganisms cannot multiply.
The type of pH tester you need must be able to measure the pH in semi-solid substances, a so-called “stick model”. The simpler, and cheaper ones, only work for liquids. So measuring the pH of your sausage is difficult with pH strips or a regular pH meter. This wireless pH tester works on all substances.
About pH and sausages
Acidity plays an important role in many forms of fermentation. The lower the pH, the more acidic your product. The more acidic your product, the safer your product. The pH of your sausage should drop at least below 5.3 after fermentation. Any pH of between 4.8 and 5.3 is fine. Lower is also allowed, but you will probably taste that a bit. Higher is not allowed as it would be unsafe to eat.
About the meat wireless pH tester
This pH tester is specially designed for measuring the pH during food processing processes such as making dry sausage or cheese. The electrode has a sheath that can be removed and cleaned. The conical tip ensures easy penetration into solid and semi-solid materials, which is necessary if you want to take a direct measurement in meat or cheese. The pH-sensitive glass uses a special low-temperature technology with a lower resistance compared to other pH meters. This is useful when measuring food products at lower (refrigeration) temperatures to have the ideal resistance for the measuring circuit.
Open-source Bluetooth allows for easy integration into data logging systems and the testers comes with a Lab app for your android and iOS phone.
How do you use the wireless pH tester?
Designed to bring simplicity to pH testing of meat or cheese, this pocket-sized pH Tester is built to last. Upon insertion, the meat tester is automatically calibrated. An onscreen stability indicator ensures the highest level of confidence in your results. The selectable auto-off feature prolongs battery life for peace of mind and energy savings if the meter is accidentally left on.
- Before testing: calibrate your pH meter (see the instructions on how to do so).
- Carefully rinse the calibration liquid with slow-running tapwater.
- Take your measurements
- If needed clean the tip of your pH meter in-between measurements by leaving it in the cleaning liquid for a minute or so.
- After testing leave the tip of your pH meter in cleaning liquid for at least 15 minutes. A few drops in the rubber cover suffice.
- Clean the rubber cover with water
- Then store the tip of the pH meter in the rubber cover with a few drops of storage solution.
Universal Bluetooth connectivity and an app
The open-source Bluetooth protocol allows for easy integration of the wireless pH tester with the Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS). The Hanna Lab App turns an Android device into a full-featured pH meter. Measurement and logging of pH and temperature at one-second intervals start as soon as the probe is connected. The measurement can be displayed with tabulated data or a graph. The graph can be panned and zoomed with pinch-to-zoom technology for enhanced viewing.
Instructions for installing the app: Turn off Bluetooth scanning in your phone’s Bluetooth settings. Let the app fully boot up and prompt you to turn on Bluetooth. if you turn on Bluetooth yourself it will not connect.
The wireless pH Tester is GLP compliant.
Instructions for calibration
- press the button until CAL is displayed
- place the pH buffer 7.01 liquid in a container, also place the pH buffer 4.01 liquid in another container
- the display should read 7.01
- Place the tip of the meter in the 7.01 buffer solution.
- When it has obtained a stable value (=calibrated) the ‘stability icon’ will remain lit (a sort of hourglass)
- if all goes well, the value 4.01 will appear on the screen automatically
- put the tip of the meter in the 4.01 buffer liquid
- When it has obtained a stable value (= calibrated) the ‘stability icon’ will remain lit.
- If correct, STO will now appear on the display. The calibration is finished.
- You can switch the meter off and on and use it
How to take care of your wireless pH tester
Please read this carefully, as not taking care of your pH tester will greatly reduce its lifespan and you will lose your warranty.
- When not in use, always keep the tip of your pH tester covered in the storage solution. A few drops in the rubber cover suffice.
- After opening your bag of cleaning liquid you can save it in a clean well-closed container at room temperature.
- Buffer liquid can be saved in a closed container for around 1 week, after this, it will lose its pH.
What can you use the wireless pH tester on?
Everything from apples to elephants, but we recommend usage for sausages/ cheeses and such only. It can also be used for all regular pH testing of all your fermented products such as yoghurt, wine, kombucha, vinegar, waterkefir etc.
Contents & details
Comes with all the necessary solutions and batteries- everything you need to get started measuring right away.
- ±0.05 pH accuracy
- pH Ranges 0.00 to 12.00 pH
- Specialized electrode for spot-checking the pH during meat processing.
- Stability indicator and battery level
- Simple 1 or 2 point calibration
- Notification if electrode needs to be cleaned
- Replaceable electrolyte
- Low-temperature glass
- Li-ion replaceable battery: approximately 800 hours of continuous use
What’s in the box?
- One meat/cheese pH tester (battery included)
- Instruction manual
- a double set of buffer solutions for calibrating your pH tester
- a double set of cleaning solution for fats, grease, and meat
- A storage solution
- a gelled bridge electrolyte
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.