Tofu or bean curd is a kind of young ‘cheese’ made from curdled soybean milk. It is popular as a meat substitute and is very nutritious. Homemade is infinitely better than store-bought. Sale: best before 30-6-2022.
Tofu coagulant | make your own tofu
Make your own tofu with our tofu coagulant, it’s infinitely better than store-bought!
What is tofu
Tofu or bean curd is a kind of young ‘cheese’ made from curdled soybean milk. It is popular as a meat substitute and is very nutritious. Homemade is infinitely better than store-bought. Moreover, you get soybean paste that you can use to make black oncom. You need a different rennet for tofu than for milk. Tofu itself is not fermented, but you can ferment it, for example into stinky tofu. But you probably shouldn’t because it’s not called that way without reason.
- 25 grams, enough for about 1 kg of soy beans
- Ingredient: calcium sulfate (E516)
- Storage instructions: room temperature, indefinately
How do I make tofu
- clean handkerchief
- hand blender / blender
- 200 grams of dry soy beans (toko, or Turkish supermarket)
- Allow the soy beans to soak overnight in water.
- Drain and add about a liter tot 1.4 liters of fresh water. Puree the soy beans with the water with a hand blender.
- Do not throw away the scrap, but turn it into black oncom!
- Cook the soymilk gently for about half an hour. There will be a lot of foam, so be careful not to let it boil over.
- Cool the homemade soy milk to 74 ° C, add a large teaspoon (about 3.5 grams) starter, dissolved in a little bit of water, stir well and put aside wrapped in a duvet.
- After about an hour, the soy milk will have turned into a thick layer. Leave to drain in a clean handkerchief overnight for a clean, delicious tofu. Or use the same handkerchief and a milk carton cut lengthwise with holes if you prefer the traditional block shape.
- Adding pressure will result in a firmer tofu structure
Buying Tofu coagulant?
Order your Tofu coagulant at startercultures.eu, the European webshop for all your fermentation needs. By Meneer Wateetons, renowned Dutch fermentation expert and author. Order on weekdays before 3 pm and we’ll ship the same day. Questions on the usage of the tofu starter kit? Ask them in our chat, we’re here to help!
Online English spoken workshop ‘how to make your own miso’
During this online master class, Dutch foodwriter and fermentation expert ‘Meneer Wateetons’ will teach you how to make your own miso. Thanks to a special form of fermentation, two very modest and rather boring ingredients come together to form one of the most beautiful, complex substances on earth. Mister Wateetons tells you exactly how that fermentation works and what you need for it, how you can make miso at home from now on, how you can speed up the process of making miso, how you can vary endlessly on these two basic ingredients and what kind of cool things you can do with miso. Click here for more info.